Pebbly Beach, often known as “kangaroo shore,” is famous for the friendly kangaroos who graze on the grassy grounds above the beach and occasionally even join the sea. (There’s even a legend about kangaroos surfing, based on a shot of a kangaroo in low surf.)
3003 IMG Pebbly Beach California
LR 0088 IMG 0088 Pebbly Beach is a well-known Murramarang beach with friendly kangaroos.
Although there isn’t much shade, the beach is an excellent surf beach. Because it is one of the most popular beaches in the area, parking is limited, and the carpark can fill up quickly during the summer holidays. Despite its drawbacks (arrive early to obtain a parking spot), this beach is well worth a visit.
Beach with Pebbles (Murramarang National Park)
At the northern end of the beach, there is a rock platform that is popular with fishermen and fun to explore at low tide. There are some sea caves at the end of the headland that must be visited during low tide.
- LR 5442 IMG 5442 IMG 5442 IMG 5442 IMG 54 Pebbly Beach is a well-known Murramarang beach with friendly kangaroos.
- Picnic spaces, a campground (reservations required), and chalets are located behind the beach.
- AWAT7551 LR AWAT7551 LR AWAT7551 LR Pebbly Beach is a well-known Murramarang beach with friendly kangaroos.
- Pebbly Beach, an iconic Murramarang beach noted for its friendly kangaroos, is AWAT7554 LR.
How to Get to Pebbly Beach
Pretty Beach is roughly a 10-minute (8.2-kilometer) drive north of Batemans Bay from the Princes Highway along the unsealed Mount Agony Road. It’s around 3.5 to 4 hours south of Sydney. A designated walking road leads to Littles Pebbles Beach, from where you can continue to Pretty Beach either along the coast or across Durras Mountain.
Staying in the vicinity of Pebbly Beach
Because Pretty Beach is located within a national park, there is little lodging available:
- Pebbly Beach camping is run by the National Parks Service (NPWS).
- National Parks Service (NPWS) – Shacks on Pebbly Beach
The nearby towns of Depot Beach, a small coastal neighbourhood, and North Durras, a slightly larger town, also offer holiday accommodation. South Durras, a larger town with a few additional lodging alternatives, is a short distance away.